Friday 24 May 2013

Felting







For this sample I decided to do felting and bring into it my faces, so I decided to do a set of eyes because I could add a variety of contrasting felt and make it vibrant and I could add all the small detail by creating small pieces of felt. So there I firstly layed out a towel and a square piece of bubblewrap on the table, depending on how big I wanted my felt piece to be, I then created a base of felt pieces all going in a landscape direction followed by repeating this but placing the next pieces of wool in a portrait direction so it created a form of gridlock felt so that there would be no holes and it would be a flat and bold piece. I then layed a square piece of mesh on top of the felt and with my water spray I then sprayed the felt evenly just so that it went damp and the felt began to form one piece. I then removed the mesh and began to add my design, so I created the eyes with bright and vibrant wool to make them contrast against each other to against the white background, then I repeated the earlier process of placing the mesh on top of my design and then this time I poured the water onto my design to soak it through and get it to really matt together to form one piece, once i'd done this I removed the mesh and rolled the felt and the bubble wrap in on itself to form a long type shape, then for at least 5-10 minutes I rolled it back and fourth, turning the design around inside the bubble wrap at times or stretching it because the rolling had made it smaller, but I kept repeating the process until I could no longer pull strands of felt away from my design, this process may take a while depending on how thick your felting it but as long you make sure its all matted together then it will have a better effect once its dry. So therefore after I was convinced i'd matted my felt together I then created a bowl of boiling hot water and using professional gloves I discarded the bubblewrap from the felt and placed it into the hot water for five minutes so that the hot water would have the effect of keeping the felt fibres together, then after this process I then washed my felting with cold water to rinse it of the warm and then place it on the drying rack overnight. I liked this piece because it felt it went very successful when ive always found detail making and been precise is difficult when it comes to felting because the felt is always moving but it turned successful, but if I could change anything I would of done them bigger so they took become more eyes than background, as I feel theres a lot of white around them so I could of made the eyes more centre of attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment