Wednesday 29 May 2013

Repeated puff binder effect on Cotton fabric


On this sample I wanted to experiment more into puff binder and the effects of layering it up like the texture Andrew Salgado created in his paintings, I wanted the create this through Puff Binder.
So Therefore I dyed my material in a blend of mainly Pink, Orange and Turquoise Procion Dyes in the way in which I masked them to a shelf over the sink and poured the Procion dye on the fabric so that it ran down it to create a blending but even effect and occasionally added water so that the Procion dye didn't appear bold or flat.
I then let my fabric dry then once I felt it was dry I pressed it on the heat press at 180 degress's for 18 seconds to press the Dye into the fibres and then washed it to discard of any loose fibres and then once it was dry my fabric was ready to be printed on.
So therefore I firstly did the White Puff binder print first in which I filled a plastic cup half full and then spread using a small wooden stick along the top of my screen evenly with my Cotton fabric precisely underneath my design of Rachael and the other two designs on my screen masked up, I then used a squeegee to spread the puff Binder down my screen 2-3 times in an up and down motion to ensure the puff binder had pressed my design into my fabric, I then quickly added quarter of a teaspoons worth of Blue pigment to transform my white Puff binder into Navy Blue puff binder but a Blue that isn't too dark so that you can still slightly see the White puff binder design underneath.
So therefore I then applied my Navy Blue puff binder on top of my White puff binder but I turned the Cotton fabric underneath upside down so that it wasn't an exact repeat on top of previous design, I wanted the second one to be coming into from a different position so that the designs blended into each other.
So then I spread the Navy Blue puff binder along the top of my screen and using my squeegee I spread my Puff binder over my screen in an up and down motion 2-3 times to ensure the puff binder was within my fabric. I then quickly washed my screen and squeegee with the hose pipe to ensure the thick puff binder didn't stick and ruine my design, once i'd washed it I placed it in the drying rack.
I then applied the heat gun to my two designs for 2-3 minutes to puff up the substance and reveal the texture and my design. I liked this design because it was successful in showing my white puff binder screen print underneath and making them both transparent like my artist Pakayla Beihn and her double exposure artwork, but also I forgot to mask my screen so it looks like Rachael is crying on this screen print because of marks that have come through on my screen and this should be something that I wanted to mask on my next screen print but I think it relates to my intensions and artists so much that I think its effective, because it reveals a meaning and an emotion to the design which I think makes it very unique. I also think the colours clash and combine very well and make the puff binder prints contrast against them.

No comments:

Post a Comment