Sunday 2 June 2013

Repeated screen print on Cotton Fabric


For this sample I chose to experiment on Cotton fabric because I wanted something that had thickness to it and that I could produce various techniques on it as this fabric is strong and can withstand it. So therefore I dyed my fabric first which was a case of masking my fabric to a shelf over the sink and I used the Procion Dyes Orange, Pink, Purple, Turquoise and Yellow and I added small amounts of the Procion Dye along the top of the fabric then added a full cup of water along that top of the fabric to result in the dyes blending into each other and not appearing so bold and separate, I wanted the colours to fade into each other but still appear vibrant. After I was happy with the result of the Procion Dyes and water I then awaited for the fabric to dry by placing it on the drying rack then once it was dry I placed it in the heat press at 180 degrees for !* seconds to ensure the Dye is within the fibres then I washed it under the cold tap afterwards to discard of any loose fibres within the fabric.
After my Fabric was dry it was then pressed and ready to be printed on, so I wanted to work on repeating my portrait after I did the repeated Puff binder of my screen print of rachael because I felt even though the puff binder worked well in making the prints transparent I wanted an even more transparent effect and I wanted them of not just one face because I felt the same face repeated didnt represent a face within a face because it was the same face and the same expression and I wanted different faces and different expressions like Pakayla Beihn, so therefore I did my first screen print in Black Pigment paint of Jake which is the side portrait and then followed by my second screen print of Rachael in Black pigment paint again then finished off with the screen print design of myself in Black pigment paint, I did these screen prints by each time masking the opposing faces because all three faces were on one screen so I had to mask the others to ensure their design didnt go on my fabric but it appears some of the marks have gone on my fabric which ruines the detail and attention a bit, so therefore next time I do this screen print I will ensure to be more precise so my piece looks more proffessional. I like this sample because it was sucessfull in been more transparent than the Puff binder print and the 3 faces made it more interesting and meaningful than just one face.

No comments:

Post a Comment