Sunday 2 June 2013

Dying Cotton Velvet fabric










When it came to dying my various Cotton Velvet fabrics I found I got a very different effect to when dying my Cotton fabric this way. So therefore I masked my fabric to the shelf above the sink and created 3 procion dyes that went in plastic cups and one was half a teaspoon of Blue Procion dye and then filling the rest of the cup with water, then the 2nd was half a teaspoon of Red Procion dye then the rest of the cup with water then the final dye was half a teaspoon of Yellow Procion Dye with the rest of the cup filled with water to create three light but bright Procion Dyes to use when dying. Besides these colours I also used a Turquoise and Purple Procion dye and felt all these colours together will really contrast and and make a bright background. So therefore I began applying the Procion dye with a paintbrush but I found that with the thick texture of the Velvet it wasnt a flat surface unlike the Cotton fabric so therefore it didnt flow down the velvet and became more Bold and quite difficult because at times the Velvet Cotton was resisiting the Procion Dye in a waterproof dye effect and I had to keep adding water so that the Velvet Cotton accepted the dye and let it run down the fabric. Dying the Velvet Cotton was very different to the Cotton fabric because when I added water to blend the colours it appeared as if it made them fade and become one colour so I had to keep adding Turquoise which was my Darkest and boldest procion dye on this sample to keep a contrast of colours instead of the faded Orange, Yellow and Pink background because this is what it transformed into when I added water as if the material wasnt absorbing the colour. But the advantage with Cotton Velvet was that when I didnt want to add much colour I could just add some small lines of colours and they didnt run down the Cotton Velvet in vast and bold amounts, they just created significant lines of colours which I felt worked really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment