Sunday 2 June 2013

Repeated screen print on Cotton fabric


For this sample I firstly dyed my fabric which I decided to use a different technique to the usual masking it to a shelf and then creating lines of blending and bright colour, I wanted to use less colour. So therefore I layed my cotton fabric flat on a table and then splashed the colours on to it, I used Pink, Yellow and Turquoise Procion Dye, I used a paintbrush and dropped the Procion dye from a height or flicked the brush to create small but effective dots of colour. I then awaited for my fabric to dry on the drying rack and then placed it under the heat press at 180 degrees for 18 seconds to press the dye into the fibres and then afterwards I placed the fabric under the cold tap to discard of any loose fibres. Afterwards I then decided to use Jacks design again and do two screen prints to see if they had a better effect againist a partly coloured background and using two colours that contrast aganist each other but still fit within my colour scheme, so therefore I chose Blue and Black because I wanted to see how they worked within been transparent and I felt these two colours would work well againist the background.
So therefore I did my first screen print in Blue pigment paint and aimed for the center of my fabric, then followed with my second Black pigment paint screen print and aimed slightly right but I wanted the detail of the eye in the Blue screen print to be within the Black screen to see how it became transparent with two bold colours. Afterwards I washed my screen and my squeegee with the hose pipe, then placed my screen in the drying cupboard.
I like this design because it has a lot of sketchy detail to it and the background comes through the design and gives it colour and detail and a form of transparentness, and I admire the effect the eye at the top of the design has created, with them been next to each other they have create such a difference when one has an underneath layer of Black pigment paint then the opposing one has a white background, they look so different againist each other but yet so full of detail and I think it just makes the piece look interesting. I will work back into the rest of the piece with free hand embroidery and try create some more sketchy detail with various face parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment