Sunday 2 June 2013

Puff binder on Cotton Fabric


For this sample I wanted to do a puff binder print but instead of the faces repeated on top of each other I wanted to try making it look like faces that were looking at each other and my design of my brother was a perfect example to use because I created a side on portrait of him, so I used my front portrait and decided to bring them together in a puff binder print and this would help with showing texture and detail.
So therefore I dyed my fabric using only very faded light colours, I didnt want to use a plain white background as I wanted a sample full of colours but I didnt want it too bright and vibrant and to take the attention away from the puff binder prints, so therefore I created 3 Procion dyes, the first one was a plastic cup with half a teaspoon of Pink Procion dye in then I filled the rest of the cup with water to create a faded Pink, then the next one was half a teaspoon of Turquoise then the rest of the plastic cup filled with water then my final colour was half a teaspoon of Yellow Procion dye then the rest was water. I created these 3 colours because not only do they contrast againist each other very well, they also arnt too heavy and bold for a background and add some lines of colour, so using a paintbrush i create strokes of colour throughout the fabric and then left it to dry on the drying rack. Once I felt my fabric was dry I then placed it under the heat press at 180 degrees at 18 seconds to press the dye into the fibres and then put the fabric under the cold tap to discard of any loose fibres.
After my fabric was dry I then created my first Puff binder which was puff binder and a teaspoon of Blue pigment ink because I wanted a dark Blue for this screen print that would stand out againist the faded background, then for my second puff binder I used puff binder and quartre of a teaspoon of red pigment ink. So for these two screen prints I placed the substance at top of my design for Jake and using a squeegee I spread the puff binder over the design and then very quickly moved my screen so that my design of me was to the right of Jake and adjusted it so that we were still within each others print but so that it looked as if he were looking at me, then I placed the red pigment ink at the top of my design of myself and used the squeegee to spread the substance over it.
I quickly then washed my screen and squeegee as I didnt want the thick Puff binder to stick within my screen and ruine my design. I like this design because it has resulted in it looking like Jake was looking in my direction which I thought gave it a twist to it usual been the overlapping of a face, but the only disadvantage is that once you apply the heat gun to puff up the puff binder it makes the puff binder naturally turn lighter and my Red puff binder print blends in within the faded background which ruines the detail, so if i were to do this screen print again I would add more Red to the puff binder to increase the boldness of the red and maybe flip the image of me so me & jake were coming in from different directions of the fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment