Sunday 2 December 2012

Loom with screen prints


For this experiment I wanted to overlap my ideas & techniques and continue making unusual winter themed pieces. So therefore I went on the Loom and did a weaved piece with a blend of think and thin wool and it varied in colours from blues to purples. With the levers at the side of the Loom I tried all different ways of creating a weave by having one at a time down and slowly working my way along and then back, holding 2nd and 4th down at a time or alternitively 1st and 3rd, holding 1st and 4th down or alternitively 2nd and 3rd etc. I enjoyed using the loom because I felt it was a fast and effective way of doing a weave because it ensured the weave was secure and tight fitted and you could easily changed the wool/thread you were using, you could even put material through the Loom if you wished to. Afterwards I then did a turquoise screen print over to the top coming slightly off the left side in pigment paint, but I felt it didnt show up as well as I would of hoped because its clashing against the background colors a little bit so at certain points of the weave it blends into it. Moreover I then did a black pigment paint screen print coming off the right hand side, which looked more effective because the black complimented the background colours to make the outline and detail of the print stand out, and also because the weave was so tight and even you could see the detail better instead of a cardboard weave where its less tight. Finally to finish my experiment off I made blue puff binder and did a screen print coming more onto the weave and I thought this looked effective over the black because the black against the blue puff binder contributed to it standing out and after i'd put the heat gun on the puff binder for 30 seconds it puffed up to cause a texture which made it stand out even mre. I enjoyed doing this piece becaue it gave me the opportunity to experiment various techniques and I learnt the outcomes, and the difference a cardboard weave and a Loom weave has against screen prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment