Sunday 2 December 2012

Screen print and heat transfer


The material I used in this example was Cotton because I wanted to do texhniques on it that are quite heavy techniques so I need thick and strong material. So I firstly dyed the material with Blue B procion dye but I added water to the dye to make it lighter so the colours I added on top would stand out and not blend into a dark background. After dying my fabric I pressed it in the Heat Transfer press at 180 degree's for 18 seconds to ensure the dye was pressed into the fibres then I washed the fabric under cold water for a few seconds to get rid of any loose fibres. Furthermore, I then did 3 screen prints each next to each other in Black pigment paint and felt the black and Blue B background really complimented each other so that the black revealed all the screen prints detail and outlines. Then after pressing this on the heat transfer press again to ensure the pigment paint was within the fibres, I then did a heat press. With this I chose a little experiment I did inside my sketchbook which was for Sandhi as her work is a case of recycled things espically objects she gets through her letterbox. So with a crisps packet and some recycled material I created a weave then over the top I drew a detailed reindeer to represent my theme, I felt it looked really well because it combined artists inspiration and my theme. Then with this I had my piece photocopyed and transferred onto magic touch paper, moreover I then had to put the magic touch paper upside down onto my Cottom fabric and then pressed the fabric and the magic touch paper between the two metal panels at 180 degree's for 18 seconds and then when pulling the lever to pull apart the two metal panels I then had to peal the magic touch paper away from the cotton fabric at a quick pace to reveal the piece on the fabric. I thought it looked really good and interesting because i did it over the top of the middle design so it overlapped it and caused an interesting geometric type effect. I just wish I could of blended the wave more into the background because it just looks like a block colour, so I wish i would of repeated the heat transfer a few more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment